Thursday, March 1, 2012

Hitting the Town

This has been a stressful week.  We've just finished our second round of illness in our home.  Isn't it nice when families share?  And I've had a deadline that I was determined to not just meet but excel.


Do you ever do that?  Push yourself above and beyond because you want to prove you are capable of doing well under pressure?


To be honest, I utterly failed on this one.  No, I didn't miss my deadline. In fact I managed to come in 4 days early BUT I missed my personal goal by 3 days.  I think my family would have voted me off the island if I'd worked any harder!


My dear friend, and brutally honest critic (love you Danielle!) kept pestering me about pushing too hard.  But like the amazing person she is, she hung in with me.  Through the re-writes, painful edits, and yeah more, slicing and dicing.  All, I might add, while I was going through a painful detox.  Probably not the best idea to start taking new meds this past week!


So she hung in there through my detox induced brain farts, cries for help after an entire day of writing junk, and finally to my final day of frantic doubts.  She kept me grounded, reminding me that I'm a good writer, that my book is gonna be great and that I deserve a star sticker for effort.  Ok, maybe I added that last bit.


So tonight my hubby and I are hitting the town.  No writing.  No thinking of writing.  Just good times with great friends.  I'm gonna totally unwind tonight.  I think I deserve it.  
  

1 comment:

  1. Just what the Doctor ordered, and I hope you had a great time with hubby and friends. I love your insight and expressions! I, too, seem to be a little hell-bent on excelling under pressure. The nature of being a Doctor seems to require that skill set. I was laid flat out after a horrific car accident, and I wrote No More Tears: A Physician Turned Patient Inspires Recovery. Seems that we can still accomplish despite it all, and that is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete