Monday, December 19, 2011

Shatter Me Book Review

Shatter Me Review

I was recommended that I read Shatter Me and upon reading the book description I rushed straight to my library and put it on hold.  Then waited, rather impatiently I might add, for the book to finally arrive.  I could barely contain my excitement as I rushed home to begin devouring what I was sure would be a “life-changing” tale.

Wrong!

First off, let me preface this by stating that I love dystopian fantasy.  This is my kind of book.  With that being said…I was sorely disappointed with Shatter Me. 

The bits that I disliked:
·        The strike out sentences.  Really?  What was the point in that?
·        The repetitive wording.  Despite the main character’s claim to in fact, “not be insane” the repetition sure made her sound that way.
·        Sentence structure was a bit to get used to.  In places where there should have been punctuations for a pause or continuation of a sentence it was left blank.  My poor mind stuttered over numerous sentences because of that.
·        And lastly…it all felt a bit too X-men to me by the end of the book.  (I love X-Men.)

The bits I did like:
·        I did enjoy the plot line.  Huge potential.  But it certainly didn’t turn out the way I would have liked. 
·        The characters were constructed well enough to draw me in, but unfortunately they didn’t feel unforgettable.  I was really hoping for more.
·        The setting was intriguing.  No spoilers so I can’t go into further detail.

Overall I would rate Shatter Me as a three star.  By the end of the first 30 pages I was so close to giving up on the book completely.  But I stuck with it and accepted the writing style for what is way and did end up enjoying the story.  There will be a sequel at some point…just not sure if I’m going to read it.

BUT…this is simply my opinion, fellow readers and writers.  If you look on Goodreads, Shatter Me has been given a wide variety of reviews.  Read it for yourself and make your own decision.  I would love to hear what you thought.

Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment