Monday, February 13, 2012

Censored- Behind closed doors


Should an author splatter their personal views across the internet?

I have been told that the fastest way to lose a friend is to discuss religion or politics.  I believe the same goes for readers. 

Both of these subjects bring out the best and worst in people.  We are fiercely protective of our beliefs, and rightly so.  But unless these topics are done in person they can be greatly misconstrued.
 
There is an author that I follow on Facebook that has been spending most of her time promoting a cause that I feel very strongly against.  Does this make her a bad person?  No, of course not.  But it does taint my view of her as an author.

In my opinion, there is a time and place for everything.  Facebook is notorious for rash decisions that you later regret; sharing links or pictures that can harm your following.

As a self-published author, who dreams of someday landing a traditional publishing deal, I am mindful of the things I write.  I don’t want to alienate any of my readers.  The best way to do that is to avoid discussing politics and religion in a public setting.
 
Have you experienced this issue with one of your favorite authors?  How did it make you feel?

No comments:

Post a Comment