Friday, October 14, 2011

Movies...inspiring or pathetic?

I've been noticing a trend lately. Movies seem to be diminishing in quality.  Am I the only one that thinks this?  How many times in the last couple of years have you gone into a movie thinking that it's going to be a great 2 hours out of your life only to leave thinking you just wasted $15?  I've lost count of how many times!

So what's the deal?  The quality of picture hasn't changed. Well, except for this crazy push to make EVERY movie a 3-D.  Not my style.  The sound is just as crisp.  The actors are just as good, for the most part.  So what's changed? 

Are we, are movie goers, looking for more than the movie industry can give?  Perhaps.  Maybe we've all become so desensitized that the romance isn't romantic enough, the jokes aren't funny enough or the blood isn't gruesome enough.  Or...maybe we as people have changed. 

When I go to a movie I'm looking to be entertained.  Most of us are, but in different ways.  My husband goes to just watch the movie.  I go to pick it apart piece by piece to make sure it all makes logical sense.  I want to know "who done it" in the first 25-30 minutes of the movie.  If it's too obvious I'm bored.  If the characters are too stupid, I'm bored.  If the dialogue is too cliche, I'm bored.  If they've mixed two movies together to create a "new" one, I'm bored.  Why is that?

I'm a writer.  Plain and simple.  I notice people's actions, their facial expressions, their body language when they are emotional.  I want reality when I watch a movie.  My husband just laughs at me and reminds me that "it's just a movie" but to me, it's like a book.  Writers have just as hard a time making their words believable as a big motion picture does.  In fact, it's harder.  We don't have the luxury of having some gorgeous couple to imply the emotions that we try to express.

So, dear readers, are you a movie lover of late?  Do you go to just watch or do you look for the flow of reality like me?  I'd love to hear your opinion!

Happy writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment