Friday, October 14, 2011

Why I write

Have you ever stopped to think about what drives a writer?  To push beyond the normal limits and create new characters or worlds that have never existed before?  I have.

Why do I write?  I want the people that read my books to feel something.  To fall in love with the hero who deals with their inner struggles.  To root for the underdog.  To want to be swept off their feet just like the lucky heroine.  To feel a longing when the last page turns. 

There is nothing better than a page turner that keeps you racing for the end, only to make you beg for more.  The agonizing months waiting for the sequel to hit the shelves just so you can find out what happens to your favorite characters.  That's what make a book good.  Some characters stick with you.  Those are the ones that I want to create.

I don't want my characters to be card board cuts outs of the latest best sellers.  I want quirks and faults.  I want real failures and real triumphs.  Real characters with real problems. 

What do you think?  Are you tired of cliches?

No comments:

Post a Comment