Friday, October 14, 2011

Writer or Dabbler?

For years I had found solace in the firm grip of a ball point pen.  Then once I was old enough to learn to type I morphed into an avid writer.  It's it amazing how much faster you can get your thoughts down on the page when you're not trying to make all of those perfect loops on paper?  My hands no longer cramp...although I do have a sneaking suspicion that someday I will have to deal with the reality of wrist problems...BUT that's a long way off. 

So, that being said, I want to put forth a question to ponder.  Are you are writer or a dabbler?  Do you enjoy spilling out your thoughts onto paper?  Do you feel your pulse race as a new idea swirls around in your mind, forming an enticing image of what could be?  Do you hide out in libraries, scouring for that next great book that might help to unlock the dreaded writer's block that has formed a steel cage barrier around your mind?

Or...do you just enjoy the occasional jotting down of random thoughts?  Perhaps dabbling with a rhyme that might someday become a poem, with a bit of help.  Or maybe you read a compelling book and think to yourself "someday I would like that to be me," but you never follow through?

Whether you are a writer or a dabbler we all share a common love of words.  Some say that a good book is worth more than it's weight in gold...and I wholeheartedly agree with that!  A good book can whisk you away to a life that you may have dreamed about but never quite felt confident enough to pursue.  So many people are held back by fears...but writers can step out of those limitations and become their character, to live vicariously through them.

Nothing gives me greater joy, apart from my family of course, than to sit for hours lounging on my couch with my laptop propped on my lap and my fingers flying across the keys.  Creativity flows through your veins like a drug.  When inspiration hits, you just have to write...even if it's on the back of a restaurant napkin.  I've got a few of those floating around here somewhere!

So if you're one of those people who have dreamed about pursuing the dream of writing I encourage you to do it.  What do you have to lose?  Take that leap, stop dabbling and become the writer you were born to be.  Yep,  I said it.  If writing is in your blood then you gotta do it!  Even if you're the only person that ever lays eyes on your work...do it for you.



No comments:

Post a Comment